Diana Contreras “Love is my favorite subject to paint.”
1. One great source of inspiration is other artists. I acquire much stimulation from looking at other artists. From graffiti to classical I get ideas from all styles. I love going to museums to admire work in person, local gallery shows, and even Instagram. Also, Instagram is a fantastic way to reach out to the art community to ask for advice or encouragement. It’s not just their art that moves me; it’s their work ethic as well. The artists that are always working on new things, evolving, and growing really inspires me to do the same.
“The artists that are always working on new things, evolving, and growing really inspires me to do the same. ”
2. Love is my favorite subject to paint. Jane Austen says “To love is to burn, to be on fire”. I have always been a fool for love and a hopeless romantic. Love has always moved me to create in love and to create while heartbroken. Some of my most powerful work has been during those sad times. I looked to art for healing. Love is my favorite muse!
3. My son inspires me to enjoy every moment! He just brings me so much joy I can hardly contain myself. He is the greatest work of art that I will ever create. Everything has more meaning because of him. I am even more driven to pursue this art dream. I want him to witness that dreams are possible. He loves scribbling on the walls and it doesn’t bother me one bit.
“I like to travel far and for long periods of time so I can immerse myself in the culture. ”
4. Adventure is a huge inspiration! I have always been adventurous and I believe in trying everything once (until I became a mom that is.) Traveling has always satisfied my adventurous spirit. It happened when I spent a semester abroad in Florence, Italy. Like David Mitchell said “Travel far enough, you meet yourself.” Since then I have traveled in Europe, Asia, South America, and North America. I get inspired by the cultures, foods, people, lifestyles, diversity, art, everything, etc. I like to travel far and for long periods of time so I can immerse myself in the culture. “I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.”-Eric Roth.
“ I also love the art of fashion with its patterns, fabrics, textures, colors, etc. ”
5. The fashion world is another one of my inspirations. I grew up in the 90s when supermodels ruled the world. Cindy Crawford, Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, and Linda Evangelista were like glamorous rock stars of the high fashion runway. These icons were the epitome of beauty and glamour and admired all over the world for their style. I also love the art of fashion with its patterns, fabrics, textures, colors, etc.
“My favorite neighborhood in Miami is Little Havana.”
6. My favorite neighborhood in Miami is Little Havana. It is where I have had an art studio for five years. Little Havana has been an enormous source of inspiration for my art. It is Miami’s vibrant Cuban heart, with Latin American art galleries, a variety of restaurants, and cafes with walk-up windows sell Cuban coffee to cigar-smoking patrons. Little Havana has been declared a national treasure not because of the historic sites but because of the people who live there. The best part of this place is the locals. Everyone knows each other its like family when you walk around this place. Its like no other place in Miami. A great place to people watch and to have an adventure everyday.
“ I don’t think I would have been inspired to paint murals if I didn’t first see Wynwood.”
7. Wynwood is an ever changing outdoor museum where you can meet the world’s best street artists and watch their process which has been so inspiring for myself. I don’t think I would have been inspired to paint murals if I didn’t first see Wynwood. Being able to witness legendary female artists such as Fafi, Miss Van, Faith47, Tati Suarez, Sands, Few and Far Women has changed my life. Painting murals in Wynwood has opened so many doors for my art career. The highlight has been a commissioned mural for the promotion of the Suicide Squad film. I got to walk the red carpet and hang out with the stars including Will Smith.
8. Nature is one of the first places that I look for a source of inspiration. Einstein says “Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better”. I love looking and being in nature because of its infinite beauty. My art cannot compete with the splendor of nature but I emulate as best as I can. Nature’s colors, patterns, textures, plants, flowers, smells, and sounds are endless inspiration and a gift from God.
“ I love their imagination and creativity. They remind me just to have fun!”
9. My art students inspire me all the time! They have inspired my own body of work called “Pretty”. It was portraits of twelve of my female students varying in ages and diversity. Also, I am inspired by the art that they create. I love their imagination and creativity. They remind me just to have fun!